Life Admin Hub  ›  Tax  ›  Individual Tax Tips  ›  Hairdresser


Work-related travel

Motor vehicle is deductible if you need to travel between locations or pick up supplies e.g. hair extensions.

Work-related travel that you pay for to go to; hair shows, conferences etc. can also be claimed including accommodation and sometimes meals.

Union or association fees are tax-deductible.

Work-related uniform

Work-related clothing is deductible if you need to purchase a company uniform or do your own laundry. Unfortunately, the black trousers from G-Star aren’t unless your company is G-Star but don’t forget if you purchased an apron or other protective gear to keep that dye off your clothes that is claimable.

Courses and education fees

Even if you are not an apprentice you are still entitled to claim any Self-Education expenses you incur for your job.

Tools of trade is a big one so don’t miss out – if you buy scissors, clippers or even a comb for your job this is deductible.


If like many, you have helped people all year round, this will help you as donations to a DGR are tax-deductible. It definitely pays to help others!

Accounting fees

So why do it yourself when your accounting fees are tax-deductible and don’t forget you can even claim the travel to see us!

Also, don’t forget Private Health Insurance and Income Protection (Yes you can get insurance to protect your income!)