Life Admin Hub  ›  Tax  ›  Backpacker Tax Return

Backpacker Tax Return

We have listed down some of the tips for you, if you came to Australia as a backpacker with a Working Holiday Visa subclass 417 or 462.

Check your visa status

To check your visa status visit:

Important Dates

The Australian Financial Year starts on 1st July and ends on 30th June in the following year.

Applying for your Tax File Number (TFN)

If you are planning to work in Australia, you should apply for a TFN. It is not compulsory to have one, but without it you will end up paying more tax.

Your TFN will be your personal reference number in the ATO system.

Starting work

When you start working in Australia, you need to provide your TFN to your employer. Employers normally withhold tax, which means that they keep (withhold) a portion of your wages to pay your tax off for you. If your employer has withheld enough tax, then not only do you not have to pay anything out of pocket, you might even get a tax refund!

Lodging your tax return

You can start lodging your Tax Return from the start of July, with the final date being around the end October. Do note that if you do not lodge your tax return, the ATO may issue financial penalties to penalise you.

If you are unsure about what to do, feel free to contact us for a quick check in!

Tax Rate

Working Holiday Maker Tax Rates for 2019-2020 as follows:

Taxable incomeTax on this income
$0- $37,00015c for each $1
$37,001- $90,000$5,550 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$90,001 – $180,000$22,775 plus 37c for each $1 over $90,000
$180,001 and over$56,075 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Don’t worry our system will automatically help you to calculate your tax for you! 😊

Medicare Levy

If you come from the following countries, you will be counted as an Australian Tax Resident, and you are liable for the Medicare levy (2% of taxable income):

  • Belgium
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom

If not, you will be eligible to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement to get an exemption from paying the Medicare Levy.


Please refer to our Occupation/ Industry specific guides here. If you need further information please feel free to contact us via phone or email at [email protected] 😊