As a hospital worker in Australia, you may be aware of the concept of salary sacrifice, but not fully understand how it works and the benefits it can provide on your online tax return. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at salary sacrifice and how it can help hospital workers save on taxes, increase their superannuation, and access additional benefits.
What is Salary Sacrifice?
Salary sacrifice, also known as salary packaging, is an agreement between an employee and their employer where a portion of the employee’s pre-tax salary is redirected towards specific benefits, such as superannuation or a car lease.
This means that the employee pays less income tax on their salary and can access certain benefits that they may not have been able to afford otherwise.
Example of a salary sacrifice: Kate is a nurse at a hospital. She wants to save on taxes and increase her superannuation contributions. She agrees to salary sacrifice $150 of her $3000 pre-tax salary each month towards superannuation.
As a result, her taxable income will be $2850 instead of $3000, and more of her money will go towards her superannuation contributions.
If you would like to know how much money you’ll save on your next tax return, use our online tax calculator: https://oneclicklife.com.au/tax-calculators/
What can Hospital Workers in Australia Salary Sacrifice?
Hospital workers generally have up to $10,000 a year that they can salary sacrifice. This can then be used on a variety of things, including:
- Superannuation: One of the most popular options for salary sacrifice is redirecting a portion of your salary towards superannuation. This can help boost your retirement savings and take advantage of the government’s co-contribution scheme.
- Car Lease: Hospital workers can also salary sacrifice a portion of their salary towards a work car lease. This can help you to afford a car that you may not have been able to purchase outright.
- Laptops, Professional Development courses: Hospital workers can also salary sacrifice a portion of their salary towards the purchase of a laptop or the payment of professional development courses. This can help with the day-to-day expenses and increase your employability.
- Childcare: Some hospital workers may also salary sacrifice a portion of their salary towards childcare expenses.
- Health and wellness: Some hospital workers might choose to salary sacrifice for health and wellness, such as gym memberships, health insurance, or health care treatments.
- Mortgages: You can salary sacrifice your mortgage repayments as a government health worker.
- Prepaid Cards: Want to sacrifice into entertainment and general household costs – most hospitals allow you to pay up to $10,000 a year to a card as a salary sacrifice.
It is crucial to remember that not all benefits are accessible for salary sacrifice, and the availability of options may vary based on the company you work for, and the state you live in. Talk to your employer to learn more about the exact salary sacrifice choices that they provide.
When you salary sacrifice you will then have a lower taxable income and will pay less tax. When completing your online tax return your lower salary will show up in your tax return automatically.
What are the Benefits of Salary Sacrificing?
Salary sacrifice is a tax-effective savings strategy that offers several benefits to hospital workers in Australia. Here are some of the benefits in greater detail:
- Lower taxable income: By sacrificing a portion of their pre-tax salary, hospital workers can lower their taxable income and reduce their tax bill. This means they will pay less tax on their salary, which can result in higher take-home pay.
- Increased superannuation savings: Hospital workers can increase their superannuation savings through salary sacrifice, which can provide a comfortable retirement income. Superannuation contributions made through salary sacrifice are taxed at a lower rate than contributions made from after-tax salary, resulting in a higher net benefit for the employee.
- Work-related expense coverage: Salary sacrifice can be used to cover work-related expenses such as travel allowances, uniforms, and tools of trade. Hospital workers can claim these expenses as a tax deduction, reducing their taxable income even further.
- Convenient and automatic: Salary sacrifice is a convenient and automatic way for hospital workers to save for their future. They do not have to worry about making contributions manually, as the deductions are automatically taken from their salary before they receive it.
- Fringe benefits: Fringe benefits are non-wage benefits that are paid in addition to salaries such as a company car, health insurance, and gym memberships. By salary sacrificing for fringe benefits, hospital workers can decrease their taxable income and increase their overall financial benefit.
- Potential reduction in Medicare Levy: By reducing their taxable income through salary sacrifice, hospital workers may also reduce the amount they pay in the Medicare Levy, which is a tax that helps fund Australia’s public health system.
How to Get Started with Salary Sacrifice
If you’re interested in salary sacrifice as a hospital worker, the first step is to speak with your employer. Many hospitals in Australia offer salary sacrifice options to their employees, so it’s worth enquiring about the options available to you.
Once you have a clear understanding of the benefits available, you can then choose the best options for your needs and set up a salary sacrifice agreement with your employer.
Considerations Before Entering a Salary Sacrifice Arrangement
Salary sacrificing isn’t for everyone, and you should think about how it will affect your whole financial status. Hospital workers should be aware of the impact salary sacrificing has on their take-home pay. Their take-home pay will reduce and may leave some in distress if they have not considered all the implications.
Before engaging in a salary sacrifice plan, consult with a professional to ensure that the arrangement is the best option for you.
Save on your next tax return!
The more you salary sacrifice, the less tax you pay and the more money you have to spend on yourself. One Click Life can help you understand the tax implications of salary sacrifice for hospital workers. You can claim your tax agent fees as a tax deduction. So why not use one to minimise your tax and maximise your money back?
One Click Life is an easy-to-use platform run by tax specialists that provides online tax returns at your fingertips.
Taxes, Wills, and Health Insurance. We make it simple to organise, track, and manage all of your life admin in one spot. You can spend more time doing the things you love by letting One Click Life handle your Tax Return, Health Insurance, and Will.