Yesterday the Fair Work Commission met to review wages. Coming out of that discussion was great news for about 2 million Aussies.
The Fair Work Commission has officially handed down its annual wage review decision for 2022.
This will increase the national minimum wage by 5.2% from 1 July.
From July 1, the minimum wage will now be lifted $1.05 an hour from its $20.33 base. This is an increase of 5.2%, to $21.38 an hour.
The increase is equivalent to a pay raise of $40 a week and takes the weekly minimum wage to $812.60.
Minimum wages in modern awards will be increased by either:
- $40 per week (where the current minimum wage is $869.60 per week or less) or
- 4.6% (where the current minimum wage is greater than $869.60 per week).
The increase will be delayed for the awards in the aviation, tourism, and hospitality industries until 1 October.
What is the Fair Work Commission
The job of the Fair Work Commission is set out in the Fair Work Act 2009:
- provide education, assistance, advice and guidance to employers, employees, outworkers, outworker entities and organisations
- promote and monitor compliance with workplace laws
- inquire into and investigate breaches of the Fair Work Act
- take appropriate enforcement action
- perform our statutory functions efficiently, effectively, economically and ethically.
In short, they make sure that our employers are looking after us appropriately with practically everything to do with hiring, firing and paying us.
If you need any help or are concerned the new wage hasn’t been implemented properly, call Fair Work on 13 13 94.
Reduce your taxes and maximise your refund with One Click Life
We’re all about simple. Simple Tax Returns makes getting your life admin sorted a breeze! Check out how easy it is to lodge a tax return here.
The more you deduct, the less tax you pay and the more money you can spend on yourself. The sure-fire way to do that is with a tax agent or accountant. You can also claim your tax agent/tax return fee back on tax, so why wouldn’t you use one to minimise your tax and maximise your money?
One Click Life offers online tax returns at your fingertips in an easy-to-use platform run by industry professionals.
Taxes, health insurance, and wills can be time-consuming and tedious. Our app allows you to be able to do this fuss-free, giving you a simple way to organise, track and manage all of your life admin in one place.
Let One Click Life take care of your Tax Return and life’s essential tasks, so you can spend more time doing the things you love.