Start nursing your tax return back to health with your tax deductions. Here are some tax deductible expenses for nurses and midwives. Don’t leave anything. If you save every little bit, and deduct everything you’re entitled to, the return can be massive. What are the details though, and what are you taxed against? What can nurses claim on tax?
When it comes down to it, there are three main criteria that qualifies an expense for tax deduction, which is calculated against your income:
- You must have spent the money and not have been reimbursed
- It must be related to your job
- You must have a record to prove it
However, this in itself can be hard to understand. What constitutes an expense as “related” to your job? Here is what defines your taxable income, and a list of expenses that are tax claims for nurses and midwives.
What Is Your Taxable Income
Your taxable nurse income is money generated from your employer or your work. Your taxable income also includes:
- PAYG summaries
- Pensions and government allowances
- Interest earned (banks etc)
- Rental property income
- Business income
- Other income earned (capital gains etc)
Tax Deductible Expenses For Nurses and Midwives
Nurse and Midwifery Specific
- Buying nursing clothing/midwife uniforms
- The cost to laundry nurse or midwifery work clothes/uniforms
- Protective clothing items that nurses or midwives use (gloves, aprons, masks, protective eyewear etc )
- Purchase of equipment, nurse stuff, and tools for nurses and midwives (mops, towels, medical equipment, pillows etc) up to $300
- Depreciation expense of equipment and tools over $300
- The repair and/or upkeep of nursing or midwifery tools and equipment
- Interest generated from loans relating to work activities
- Self-education and courses for nurse studying or midwifery
- Licenses for nursing or midwives
- AHPRA self-check
- Nursing union fees/other similar organisations
- Nurses books
- Subscriptions and magazines
- Travel expenses if work related (travel nurse salary in Australia)
Nurse and Midwife Protective Clothing
As either a nurse or a midwife, you will be potentially buying a lot of protective clothing. When doing so, make sure you keep a record of everything you buy, and proof of purchase.
Equipment for Nurses & Midwives
Make sure you again keep track of every piece of equipment that relates to your job. Things such as towels, rags, sponges and more are all tax deductible! If you need more of a hand, see a professional.
Self-education and Courses For Nurses and Midwives
As a nurse or midwife, you are no doubt a trained professional in your area. Any further self-education courses you go through you can claim as a tax deduction this tax time.
- Car expenses and general wear if your car use is work related (estimated Km or a logbook with all expense items)
- Travel expenses for your work (flights, taxis and trains etc)
- Accommodation needed on work reasons (including meals)
- Phone bills for work
- Work related computing
- Working from home costs
- Tax return fees dating to the year previous
- Rental expense (if you are renting)
- Charity donations and gifts
- Sun protection (if you have to work outside)
Maximising Your Tax Return With An Online Tax Agent
There will be more nursing tax benefits and midwife tax deductions that aren’t on this list. Tax deductions are not only industry specific, but also change from individual to individual.
The best way to claim the most you can is with a tax agent like One Click Life. We have made the process simple with 5 easy steps.
The more you deduct, the less tax you pay and the more money you can spend on yourself. Clearly, you will want to deduct the most you can, and the sure-fire way to do that is with a tax agent or accountant. If you can claim your tax agent/tax return fee back on tax, why wouldn’t you use one to minimise your tax?
One Click Life fast offers online tax returns at your fingertips in an easy-to-use platform run by industry professionals.
Taxes, health insurance, and wills can be time-consuming and tedious. Our app allows you to be able to do this fuss-free, giving you a simple way to organise, track and manage all of your life admin in one place.
Let One Click Life take care of your tax return, and life’s essential tasks so you can spend more time doing the things you love.