Cleaners! Keep your finances tidy this tax time by knowing all the expenses you can claim as a tax deduction for your tax return and maximise your money. If you save every little bit, and deduct everything you’re entitled to, the return can be massive. What are the details though, and what are you taxed against?
When it comes down to it, there are three main criteria that qualifies an expense for tax deduction, which is calculated against your income:
- You must have spent the money
- It must be related to your job
- You must have a record to prove it
However, this in itself can be hard to understand. What constitutes an expense as “related” to your job? Here is what defines your taxable income, and a list of expenses that you as a cleaner can deduct on your next online tax return.
What Is Your Taxable Income
Your taxable income is money generated from your employer or your cleaning work. Your taxable income also includes:
- PAYG summaries
- Pensions and government allowances
- Interest earned (banks etc)
- Rental property income
- Business income
- Other income earned (capital gains etc)
Tax Deductible Expenses For Cleaners
- Purchasing of compulsory cleaner uniforms
- Expense to laundry your compulsory uniforms
- Protective clothing for cleaners, such as masks, goggles and gloves
- Purchase of equipment and tools such as mops, brooms, sponges (up to $300)
- Purchase of cleaning chemicals and products
- Depreciation of tools and equipment over $300
- The repair and maintenance equipment used for your work
- Interest on loans payable for work related expenses
- Self-education and courses
- Fees from joining a union/other similar organisations
- Subscriptions and magazines that relate to your work
- Travel expenses if work related (conferences etc)
The Cleaner Deduction To Be Most Aware Of!
Usually, you cannot claim your car expense commuting to and from work. Cleaners might be an outlier for this. There is an exception to the rule if you have to transport heavy equipment to and from your work because you are unable to leave them there such as; buckets, mops and other bulky cleaning items. Also, you can claim travel expenses between locations to pick up supplies or do jobs.
There are two ways to calculate your tax deductible expense for the use of your car for cleaning work. They are;
- Cents Per Kilometre: Claim a percentage of your fuel per kilometer up to 5000km.
- Logbook Method: Keep a logbook of your driving for 12 or more weeks and calculate what percentage of use is for business use.
Itemised Purchases Make Up Most of Cleaners Tax Deductions
Every item you buy, every little cloth, sponge, broom and everything in between, can be claimed as a tax deduction. Be hyper aware of the items you are buying for cleaner work and keep a record of them. If you need more help, see a professional.
- Car expenses and general wear (estimated Km or a logbook with all expense items)
- Travel expenses for your work (flights, taxis and trains etc)
- Accommodation needed on work reasons (including meals)
- Phone bills for work
- Work related computing
- Working from home costs
- Tax return fees dating to the year previous
- Rental expense (if you are renting)
- Charity donations and gifts
- Sun protection (if you have to work outside)
Maximising Your Tax Return With An Online Tax Service
There will be more you can deduct that isn’t on this list. Tax deductions are not only industry specific, but also change from individual to individual. Tax deductions for small businesses will not be universal.
The best way to claim the most you can is with a tax agent like One Click Life. We have made the process simple with 5 easy steps.
The more you deduct, the less tax you pay and the more money you can spend on yourself. Clearly, you will want to deduct the most you can, and the sure-fire way to do that is with a tax agent or accountant. If you can claim your tax agent/tax return fee back on tax, why wouldn’t you use one to minimise your tax?
One Click Life offers fast online tax returns at your fingertips in an easy-to-use platform run by industry professionals.
Taxes, health insurance, and wills can be time-consuming and tedious. Our app allows you to be able to do this fuss-free, giving you a simple way to organise, track and manage all of your life admin in one place.
Let One Click Life take care of your tax return, and life’s essential tasks so you can spend more time doing the things you love.