Life Admin Hub  ›  Tax  ›  Individual Tax Tips  ›  FIFO Worker

FIFO Worker

Work-related travel

Motor vehicle is generally deductible if you need to travel from site to site or to pick up supplies and materials.

Work-related travel that you pay for to go to trade expos, training or courses etc. can also be claimed including accommodation and sometimes meals.

Work-related uniform

Work-related clothing is deductible if you need to purchase a company uniform, protective wear or do your own laundry. Unfortunately, the jeans from G-Star aren’t unless your company is G-Star but don’t forget if you purchased sunscreen or sunglasses these are also claimable as protective gear.

Courses and education

Even if you are not an apprentice you are still entitled to claim any Self-Education expenses you incur for your job.

Tools of trade is a big one so don’t miss this out. If you buy even a spanner from Snap-On don’t forget you can claim it – that stuff is expensive!

Even if you don’t have an office you may still be entitled to claim part of your phone, laptop etc.


If like many you have helped people all year round this is when it will help you! Donations to a DGR are tax-deductible. It definitely pays to help others!

Accounting fees

So why do it yourself when your accounting fees are tax-deductible and don’t forget you can even claim the travel to see us!

Also don’t forget Private Health Insurance and Income Protection (Yes you can get insurance to protect your income!)